Friday, August 14, 2009

Ta Da!



Victory snatched from the jaws of defeat!

Jennifer posted a comment about my last post suggesting that I cut off the border print and attach it to another dress. A light bulb went on, and I decided to cut the dress at the level of the bottom of the armholes and make the top of the dress and the sleeves from black fabric. I ordered a couple of swatches on line and found a fabric that I could use. I've worn the dress a couple of times already and have received two or three compliments--one from a chef at Dean & Deluca, of all people!

It still needs some tweaking. It looks like a bit of a sack because I need to deepen the darts in the front and in the back to give it more shape. I curved the side seams more, but apparently that wasn't enough. I also need to add some lingerie strap guards because the neckline keeps slipping to one side, exposing a bra strap. In the picture it looks like the sleeves are cut on, but they're not. They're set in.

I'm delighted that I was able to salvage the fabric because I loved it so. I just hope the black and white motif doesn't go out of style too soon.

5 comments:

  1. It looks fantastic!!! I really like how you saved the fabric- I'll be it even looks much more designer in person. Those are cute flats too- love pink:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, Sondra! What a great save. It would have been a shame to waste the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really looking good. I would complete it with ruby slippers. Forget the lingerie straps and get a gorgeous black lace bra that is ment to peek through!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great save, great dress, and it looks even better in person.

    JAS

    ReplyDelete